Re: [Fwd: [Gnome-print] Gnome printing issues]

   Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:20:55 -0500
   From: Chema Celorio <chema@celorio.com>

   From: hamzy@us.ibm.com
   Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:35:56 -0500

   >                                                   Most inkjet printer
   > manufacturers have indicated their preference for providing binary
   > Linux drivers (in one framework or another). I believe that supporting
   > the Gimp Print work is our best bet for ensuring that our complete
   > printing infrastructure remains free.

   By that, do you mean that since Gimp Print is GPL, then printer
   manufacturers would have no choice to use binary implementations for their
   driver?

As far as gimp-print is concerned, that's correct -- printer vendors
cannot put binary-only implementations of their driver into it.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net
Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net