[Gnome-print] [Fwd: Gnome printing issues]

> Can you give any practical user benefits from using a nonstandard PDL?
> Otherwise it seems to be only disadvantages and no pluses, since it
> will be very much harder for us to maintain and document if it's
> nonstandard.

Well, one particular problem is the following.  If we have our own
PDL, we can ensure across GNOME apps that:

	Application A generates PDL

	Passes PDL to Application B through bonobo, storage, post
	retrieval, etc

	Applicaiton B renders PDL buffer (into a scaled buffer, a
	portion of it, anything) using our printer API.

If we just "accept" the PDL to be PDF 1.4, we need a full PDF 1.4
renderer to be available on B to rasterize the code in the event of A
generating PDF output that goes beyond our expectations.

Miguel.