[Gnome-print] Re: [jody: [ynakai redhat com: Re: Gnumeric bug 15607]]

Hello!

I consider it very bad idea, to accept current miserable locale/encoding
scheme at all.
Instead we should:
1) Use only utf-8 strings in application code
2) Collect all input/output related code to single place (like EFonts
are in gal), where it can be dealt in systematic way.

The current de-facto system of locale-specific encodings is way too
error-prone. To make is waterproof, one should include encoding tag
with every string passed in system - which results in much-much more
inconveniece than using utf-8 everywhere.
How can application know, what given character code really means? How
to determine, whether it is in iso-8859-1, koi-8 BIG-5 or whatever
encoding? You shouldn't force people using only 1-2 languages in
their documents - and what is even worse - you shouldn't expect that
received document is written in the same locale, where the reader
happens to be.

Locales/encoding are EVIL. They have to be replaced by languages/unicode
ASAP - and I think it is better to introduce major short-term pain,
that to make people suffer forever. The situation is bad enough, that
people browsers, mailreaders etc. have to support silly encodings
forever - better to not generate more such unhappy applications.

Lauris