Re: [Gnome-print] Re: gnome font RFC quickie

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 03:14:03AM +0200, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:
> What really bothers me is question, whether 12pt font metrics differ on
> 300, 600 and 1200 dpi laser printers. If they do (as they should), font
> scaling has to be interpreted as pixel, not point scaling. So scaling font
> to 100 units?, gives metrics for 24pt font on 300dpi, but 12pt font on
> 600dpi.

Lauris, "points" is a typesetting unit and has nothing to do with pixels.
point = 1/72" (if you are in US, in German typography it is a bit different).
Also, 12pt font is not just scaled down 24pt font, even if you are not taking
resolution into account.

   Sergey