Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print(fwd)

   Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:53:09 +0200 (CEST)
   From: Lauris Kaplinski <lauris@kaplinski.com>

   > > AFAIK there is still no way to acess underlying rendered buffer in
   >
   > Nope, nor will there be for an important reason - the PostScript
   > rendering model is designed to work with raster *and* vector
   > devices.

   And that exactly IS the reason you cannot do anything advanced in PS, but
   have to render HUGE clent side bitmaps from almost everything.
   P.S. Plotters usually cannot print bitmaps too - why there are image
   operators at all - pixels could also been drawn as tiny vector boxes ;)

Why exactly do you need to access the underlying rendered buffer at
all, anyway?  For raster printers, it's not likely to look anything
even remotely like a bitmap in any format you've ever seen, anyway.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net
Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net