Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

>    Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:47:06 +0200 (CEST)
>    From: Lauris Kaplinski <lauris@kaplinski.com>
>
>    > What you really should do is discuss any perceived shortcomings of
>    > PostScript with Adobe.
>
>    Yes. But we should not try to convince Adobe improving PostScript,
>    but instead do that ourselves.  It time to take standard away from
>    the hands of evil corporation :)
>
> I've heard of using a sledgehammer to kill a fly; I've never heard of
> using a flyswatter to kill an elephant.
>
> I'm sorry, but this just about takes the cake for sheer nonsense.
> Adobe may control the PostScript standard, but it is very well
> specified, it's under active development, and Adobe's doing a good job
> with it.  Exactly how do you propose to "take the standard away" from
> Adobe?

The thing about PS is that the math behind it is quite solid and there
is an amazing amount of accumulated wisdom embedded in it. A huge
number of people with extremely different needs have been pounding on
it for years now.

-ben