[Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

Hrafnkell Eiriksson wrote:
> How about this: Write a driver for gnome-print that spits out
> the CUPS raster format? You get the nice application programming
> interface of gnome-print and can use CUPS and the CUPS drivers
> to do the final printing.

To do that, they'll need to get the PPD file for the printer, fill
in the page header with the appropriate data, do all of the color
management, and then send the raster stream to the printing system.
Certainly doable, but I suspect it would be simpler, faster, and
smaller to use the existing PostScript driver to send the print
file to the printing system, which could then RIP the data for
them...

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com