Re: [gpm] Problems Under FC5

On 12/05/06, Chris Spencer <gmane 20 evilspam spamgourmet com> wrote:
I've been using GPM under FC5 for several days now, and I've been having
several problems.

It should work well with FC5, so apologies.

First, there doesn't appear to be anyway to manually initiate
hibernation, even though it's listed as an option under preferences.
Neither suspend or hibernate appear in the popup menu as shown in some
of your screen shots. Interestingly, the preferences don't list suspend,
even though Gnome's System->Shutdown offers this option (although it
doesn't seem to do anything).

Can you try some of the stuff (and post as a reply pls) in
http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/Faq#head-cef6f771faa9dffbba8dee0ebbc1ff8609cade11
please.

Second, regardless of the timeout specified, the display and computer
are never seem to go to sleep. I may leave my machine idling for hours
and it won't hibernate. A few times, I have noticed the screensaver will
stop, the cpu fan ramp up to full blast, and the machine becomes
completely unresponsive, but I'm not sure if that's suspend/hibernation
in action or my kernel crashing. Pressing the power button causes a
reboot, but nothing else will "wake" it up.

I'm thinking that g-p-m is either not started, or maybe the gconf
stuff wasn't installed correctly. When you've logged in, is the
gnome-power-manager process running?

This brings me to the third question, should I figure out how to
suspend, how would I resume? Should the computer resume if I press a
key, or do I have to press the power button?

Depends on your laptop IIRC, but my laptop can resume from pressing
the keyboard for a few seconds, or pressing the power button, or evem
just opening the lid. What make/model?

Also, is it possible to set the "put computer to sleep" timeout to a
value greater than one hour? I often have my computer run long tasks
unattended for 2-3 hours at a time (like yum upgrade on a slow network
connection), but still would like it to hibernate if left idle for more
than 6 hours.

No, as the slider only goes up to 1 hour. For stuff that runs
unattented, we should bugzilla the product to use the g-p-m inhibit
interface when a task starts.

See http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/Faq#head-ec399a12ba6d1a8461e5d6af7394d9560a838bc4
for more details. If yum, for instance, used this interface then it
would all just work without setting over-long time-outs.

Sincerely,

Hope some of that helps,