[gpm] Broken Bios

As this is my first post to this list, let me first say thank you for
creating this program.  I've been wondering how have timeouts for
suspend and hibernate for months, now I don't have to think about it
any more.

Unfortunately, I have a broken bios that always reports that my lid is
closed. --
dberg ubuntu:~$ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
state:      closed

It hasn't been a problem until now, I've just told my acpi scripts not
to look at it.  Unfortunately, with gnome-power-manager when I pull
the power, it sees that event, looks at LID/state determines it is
closed and takes my prefered action.  So at best, I have to enter my
password when ever I want to go to battery.

Could someone help me out with what I need to modify to make g-p-m
ignore the state?

Thanks much.

--Dave