Re: [gpm] hal.systems.formfactor

On Sunday 23 April 2006 21:06, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Try adding the attached fdi file
> to /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/ and restarting hal, and
> then doing
>
> lshal | grep system.formfactor
>
> If that works, then we need to add this to upstream HAL.

I say it here, before I need to say it at the HAL mailinglist: Sorry, but this
is bulls*** (adding the fdi upstream).

My reasons for this statement:
1.) You never asked for the HAL version he use (There was e.g. a fix in 0.5.7
and if he use a older version ... no comment.)
2.) You didn't try to fix or to debug the real problem. Not only the result of
dmidecode is a place, where hal change/set the value of system.formfactor.
The value is also set on machines with a ACPI/APM/PMU battery (bay) or a LID
button to 'laptop'. If there is a bug, fix the real bug.
3.) A fdi file is the last place to fix such issues, you should only fix
something via a fdi-file if there is no other way. Sorry, but I really hate
ppl trying always to fix 'problems' with adding a new fdi-file instead of
research the reason for the problem. This maybe is a fast workaround, but
never a fix.

Hence: try to find and fix the bug.

Cheers,

Danny