Re: [gpm] ThinkPad suspend fix with GnomePowerManager

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 10:27 +0530, Kevin Verma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I own a ThinkPad R50e with  Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
> Graphics Device, Suspend to RAM using g-p-m on a Fedora Core 5 works
> just fine but upon resume the display remains blank, there is a fix
> specified on thinkwiki.org also for few other affected models of
> ThinkPad but different fix.
>
> Below is the URL of one releted fix to my hardware, I will like to
> have some suggestions how to well impliment the same using g-p-m,
> instead acpid.
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume#Solution_for_ThinkPads_with_Intel_Extreme_Graphics_2
>
> Seeking your kind help solving the same.

GNOME Power Manager just calls the dbus method suspend(), so any fix
needs to be done in HAL. This means that any other applications gets
this fix, for example the gdm login screen.

Clever and clean this HAL DBUS method stuff seems, the actions are still
eventually driven by scripts.

You probably want to
modify /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-power-suspend to resemble the
sample script file on the wiki, i.e. add:

# restore video state
cat /tmp/video_state > /proc/bus/pci/00/02.0

# change back to X
chvt $FGCONSOLE

to the end of hal-system-power-suspend and hal-system-power-hibernate.

Hope this helps (and if it does, we should patch pm-utils so this "just
works" for other people using Thinkpads).