pilot-link 0.12.0 released (was: Re: gnome-pilot-2.0.14pre6 released)

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 14:47 +0800, Yu-Hui Calvin Liu wrote:
> Second on this. I didn't aware of the official release of 0.12.x. I'd
> like to try if I can download the tarball.

Here's a copy of the announcement on the pilot-link-general list.
Scroll down for the download URLs.

Matt Davey		Diplomacy is letting them have it your way.
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk
                              From:
David A. Desrosiers
<desrod gnu-designs com>
                                To:
pilot-link-announce pilot-link org,
pilot-link-general pilot-link org,
pilot-link-devel pilot-link org
                           Subject:
pilot-link v0.12.0 "Trois ans" is
now official..
                              Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:59:01 -0400
(Sun, 01:59 IST)

No, its not April Fool's day, this is legit.

pilot-link 0.12.0 "Trois ans" ("Three Years") is now official. There
have been so many changes in this release and I can't remember them all,
but here's the short list:

- Many of the userland binaries now have new names, to avoid some
potential namespace collisions (dlpsh is now pilot-dlpsh for example,
memos is now pilot-memos). If you use scripts which call these
applications, you may have to make minor changes to accomodate the new
naming scheme.

- Documentation is now in DocBook XML, and manpages are dynamically
generated from that source. Other docs are much more detailed, and there
are quite a few README files that have been added to help.

- Direct libusb support! This is one of the most monumental features in
0.12.0, and should help those who have trouble using the kernel's visor
driver in Linux with their device. Now you can get a healthy 300% to
600% speedup in sync times, depending on your Palm's processor speed.
See doc/README.libusb for details. Thanks go to Zephania Hull for
working out how to get native libusb working with pilot-link.

- Native support for Mac OS X. You can now just download the tarball and
build it directly on Mac OS X machines, and it will just run. Thanks go
to Florent Pillet for his tireless work in getting this all working
efficiently and for squashing countless bugs in the libraries along the
way.

- So many other fixes, additions, features and new things to count.

But first, a disclaimer: BACK UP YOUR PALM FIRST ;)

While we've tested this code pretty thoroughly, we can't be sure how YOU
might use it, so back up your Palm first (and you can use pilot-xfer
from this version to do that, safely), and then play with the various
tools, libraries and language bindings.

Also, please do not skip reading the README and the files in the 'doc'
directory. I spent the time to make sure they were helpful, please spend
the time to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Its been a VERY long time since we've had an official release of
pilot-link, and its been over 4 years since the last .0 release, so this
one is way overdue.

To that end, you can be sure that v0.12.1 will follow shortly as people
who test this version get back to us and report any issues they find.

Please remember to use the bugtracker (bugs.pilot-link.org) to report
your issues, not the mailing lists.

You can download the release here until the bandwidth calms down a bit,
and then I'll put it up on the pilot-link.org website for everyone else
to download.

http://torrents.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.tar.gz.torrent
http://torrents.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.tar.bz2.torrent
http://torrents.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.7z.torrent

Please remember to seed as long as you can, so others can benefit from
the network of people helping out.

http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.tar.gz
http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.tar.bz2
http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.7z

And don't forget to check those md5sums and gpg signatures!

http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.tar.gz.md5
http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.tar.gz.asc

http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.tar.bz2.md5
http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.tar.bz2.asc

http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.7z.md5
http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0.7z.asc

I promise it won't be 3 more years until the next major release.

Donating to pilot-link
Do you like our work? Do you rely on the code we release for your daily
work or for your own commercial or OSS project?

Please consider donating to keep the project going. We're a 100%
self-funded project, and we see a LOT of traffic from users downloading.
Every contribution helps, whether to pay for bandwidth or to help
support obtaining devices for testing.

You can help support our efforts by visiting the pilot-link.org website
and clicking on the "Donate" button on the right side of the page.

We thank you for your contributions, whatever you can offer.

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com