Re: Best way to migrate to a new device.

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
On 7/8/05, Mark Healey <marklist healeyonline com> wrote:

I just bought a Palm Zire 72s to replace my Kyocera 7135.
What is the best way to transfer the data.  Should I just
give the Zire the same name as the 7135 and sync or should I
laboriously beam everything?

With very little poking around you should be able to find the
directory that your sync software keeps copies of all the pdb files
and so on that it retrieved from the device.  (Generally I back up
this directory onto a floppy disk every so often.)  You can usually
just drop the files you know aren't device-specific configuration
libraries right into the installation app and then sync to install
them.  Just be forewarned that some things might not work so well if
you're migrating between PalmOS apps made for different CPU types.

I wouldn't bother with trying to install-migrate things like phone
numbers and so on, tho.  Your new device should get all those the
moment you sync it anyway, and if it didn't you will still have a copy
of everything from your backup directory (hint hint).

OK now I'm more confused. There is one directory called "/home/mark/MyPilot" which had everything except for memos which are separate files in "/home/mark/memos"

If I should decide to have several pilots wouldn't this confuse things?

Another thing. I like to keep data files a directory or two deep from my user directories (this is a second physical hard drive). It just makes upgrading easier. For some reason when I tied to do this with Gnome Pilot it didn't work. Why?

Still another thing. Some of the apps I want to use are wrapped up in a windows installer. How do I get them out?

I'm thinking I'll just start with it clean reinstall all the apps I use (many of them probably have been upgraded since) and beam the data from the 7135.

--
Mark Healey
marklist healeyonline com