Re: Palm Zire 31 segfaults gpilotd on sync

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 17:23 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> System is a fully updated Fedora Core 4
>
> [root hughsie ~]# rpm -qa |grep kernel
> kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
> [root hughsie ~]# rpm -qa |grep pilot
> gnome-pilot-2.0.13-2
> pilot-link-0.12.0-0.pre3.0.fc4.1
> gnome-pilot-conduits-2.0.13-1
>
> When I connect me Palm Zire 31, and try to sync, I get a segfault in
> gpilotd.

Unless I miss my guess, this is happening during the photo jpeg library
synch, and since no one's answered yet, I'll take a stab at it...
(I've got a Zire 31 and banged on this for several hours before giving
up and asking people likely to know.)

For now, things are basically stuffed.  The problem as I understand it
(having been told by people in the #pilot-link IRC channel) is that Palm
basically violated their own specs and are sending chunks of data during
the sync that are larger than the 64k maximum they specified.  The new
minor revision of pilot-link is supposed to fix this, but at the moment
it's not really compatible with anything (particularly not gnome-pilot)
so it's a waiting game until everything catches up with the new
pilot-link library.

I was also told there's a hack-around that can be done by modifying the
pilot-link source in a particular place to extend the size of the
buffer, but I was also cautioned strongly that such a modification could
also lead to severe corruption in the data that might well turn
everything into goo.  I am not terribly that keen on the idea of
demolishing my address books, so umm... I'm waiting patiently now.  :)