gpilotd using lots of memory

I just synced my Palm M515, and it crashed the computer having used up
all the available memory and swap. (I have 512MB of physical memory and
1.5 GB of swap.) I hit the reset switch, rebooted, ran gpilotd, hit the
hot sync button, and in the space of 1 or 2 seconds watched the memory
indicator on gkrellm go from the left edge of the indicator to the right
edge of the indicator.

top shows this:
12574 sl70      15   0  292m 237m 5032 S  0.0 47.2   0:06.28
gpilotd

This is the top line when the entries are sorted by memory usage. Why
should this be using 292MB of memory?

I'm just noticing this now because I haven't been able to sync until now
because I just cleared up some udev permissions issues. Anyone have any
idea of what is happening?

(I'm running gnome-pilot 2.0.10, pilot-link version 0.11.7 in a Gentoo
system with kernel 2.6.11.)

--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR