Different charsets support

 Hello.
I'm using gnome-pilot package together with Evolution to sync address
book, schedule and todo lists. I'm using Cyrillic windows-1251 charset
on my Clie TG50. However, Evolution expects that there's an utf8 on
the other side (strange idea as PalmOS doesn't support utf8) so I'm
getting various umlauts and other symbols from 8bit part of western
encoding instead of necessary Cyrillic letters.
Is there any recommended way to solve this problem or, if isn't, can
charset conversion support be added to gnome-pilot so there will be
possibility to specify on-palm and on-computer charsets?

--
MBR,
 Konstantin Starodubtsev