memofile conduit

Hi.
I've had some problems getting the memo file conduit to work on my
computer. After seeing that this was a common problem I mailed Matt
Davey and got an excellent patched version (which btw worked out of the
box, why isn't that patch incorporated into latest versions?).

Anyway, I still have problems. The file is sent correctly between
computer and Palm, problem is the charset seems somehow to be set
wrongly. Since I'm swedish I've got lots of swedish characters in my
text and all of them are shown as just spaces when the file is viewed in
for example less (though they are there, when opened in gedit I can see
them).

I'm syncing quite a lot of data between pc and Palm (mostly using
Evolution conduits) and I haven't seen this anywhere else.

Anyone know what's wrong?

/Daniel