a working zire 71 config

hello,
i have a palm zire 71 working with evolution like this:

a) software:
suse 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20)
evolution-1.2.2-30
gnome-pilot-0.1.69-93

b) gnomecc settings (my machine talks Germish so some translating went
into the following and stuff may be called otherstuff where you are...)
periphery/pilot-link/pilots (1 entry):
name="mypilot", uid="500", username="mats",  sync type="use conduit
settings"
periphery/pilot-link/devices (1 entry):
name="zire71", port="/dev/ttyUSB1", speed="115200", type="usb"
periphery/pilot-link/conduits (7 entries):
i have disabled all except EAddress, ECalendar, ETodo which are set to
synchronize
periphery/pilot-link/complex(1 entries):
Sync  PCId= some number i'm sure i didnt put there so it'll be different
for you anyway

c) palm settings
hotsync/modem-sync="direct" (ie not the lan connection)
hotsync/LAN-sync="local hotsync"
hotsync/main pc setup: this takes the lan data (my pc is in a lan...no
idea if this is needed or what you put there if there is no lan)
hotsync/consuit setup: ticked boxes to match with gnomecc conduit
settings
hotsync/connections (3 options): docking station/cable

d) procedure:
d.1 have evo up and zire71 cradled, then press cradle's hotsync button:
this does _not_ work but times out

d.2 in evo select tools/pilot conduit settings (this pops the gnomecc)
then press cradle hotsync: this gives a sync

e) finally:
i did fight those 2 machines a bit to get into this state and i don't
exactly remember how i got all those data into the gnomecc settings.
also, i was rather baffled by the failure of d1. however, i can live
with d2 as i don't need to do 13 syncs a day (even if that means i don't
really need a palm anyway:-))
then, i seem to have noticed that sync-ing contact lists resulted in
double entries in both evo and palm after i changed data (eg new phone
number) in evolution and sync'd. again, as my friends move house rarely,
this isn't too bad

everything else i haven't even tried: i use a card reader to shift files
around on the sdcard, i don't need to sync via lan, etc)

btw: usb viewer does not see the palm/cradle (so i cannot tell you the
vendor/doodah numbers)...ain't that strange?

hope this helps,
mats