Can't sync using gpilotd, but can with jpilot?

I'm running Redhat 8, trying to sync a Handspring Visor Prism.
I'm using the following apps:
evolution-pilot-1.2.2-1.ximian.1
gnome-pilot-0.1.70-1.ximian.1
gnome-pilot-conduits-0.10-1.ximian.1
gnome-pilot-devel-0.1.70-1.ximian.1
jpilot-0.99.2-8
pilot-link-0.11.5-4.ximian.1
pilot-link-devel-0.11.5-4.ximian.1

jpilot syncs without fail, every time...  However when I run gpilotd-control-applet using the following:
Name: Cradle
Port: /dev/pilot (linked to /dev/ttyUSB1, which has rw for other)
Speed: 57600 or 115200 (tried both)
Tiimeout: 2
Type: USB

I get the following:
Message: No pilot userid/username information located
Message: Unable to load pilot id/username, assuming unset
Message: No pilot cradle information located
Message: Unable to load pilot cradle info, assuming unset
gpilotd-Message: Initing gnome vfs
Message: No pilot userid/username information located
Message: Unable to load pilot id/username, assuming unset
Message: No pilot cradle information located
Message: Unable to load pilot cradle info, assuming unset
Message: No pilot userid/username information located
Message: Unable to load pilot id/username, assuming unset
Message: No pilot cradle information located
Message: Unable to load pilot cradle info, assuming unset
gpilotd-Message: Exiting (caught SIGTERM)...
gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 0.1.70 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.11.5
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]

gpilotd-WARNING **: Number of pilots is configured to 0
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: Watching Cradle (/dev/pilot)

...LONG HANG...

gpilotd-Message: gpilotd: corba: get_user_info(cradle=Cradle,survival=0,timeout=0)
gpilotd-Message: gpilotd: assigned handle num 1

Now the "Initial Sync" gui pops up for me to try to Hotsync

I try, the Visor gives up, and that's it...

PLEASE, any help is much appreciated!

cjs

--
Clif J. Smith <cjs cjs226 com>