gnome-pilot 2.0 cannot open display

I've been trying to use the gnome2 version of gnome-pilot, but I get the following error after pressing the sync button on my Visor Pro cradle:

gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 2.0.0 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.11.5
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: bonobo_activation_active_server_register = 0
gpilotd-Message: Watching Stella (/dev/pilot)
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=115200

(gnome_segv:6525): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I've tried running xhost + to allow all X client connections and specifying the display on the command line, but to no avail. Any ideas?