Treo 300: pilot-link works, gnome-pilot doesn't

Hello,

First, a success story: Adam Pennington's 2.4.20 patch at http://munge.org/linux/linux-2.4.20-treo.patch (vs. 2.4.21-pre-5 at http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/debs/linux-2.4.21-pre5-treo.patch) makes the Handspring Treo 300 work with pilot-xfer! I can list the files just fine now, but haven't tried any other pilot-xfer functions. Greg K-H is planning to merge it so it gets into 2.4.21. Cool!

Unfortunately, syncing with gnome-pilot doesn't work. The device doesn't connect with the USB port until hotsync is actually pressed, so before then, /dev/ttyUSB1 and 0 are dead, and when I "pilot-xfer" before pressing hotsync, it says "no such device".

Funny thing is, if gpilotd is running and I push sync, the device hangs and never times out. If I then run pilot-xfer, it sees /dev/ttyUSB1 and tries to start syncing, but *then* the device times out (and disconnects).

So I think something is wrong in gpilotd's assumptions about when things will happen. Perhaps it isn't monitoring /dev/ttyUSB1 like it says it is, because there's no such device before sync?

How can I help debug? .gnome-errors prints nothing unusual after I press sync, neither is anything unusual in /var/log/kern.log...

One other thing: I haven't cleared out IDs since syncing with my old pilot; do I have to create a new entry in the "Pilots" tab of the capplet, or erase the "Sync PCId" from the "Advanced" tab?

TIA,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>