Re: pilot-xfer works, gpilotd doesn't

> any ideas? Bueller?

> > pilot-xfer works, gpilotd doesn't (& produces zero helpful output).
> > gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 0.1.71 starting...
> > gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.11.7
> > gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
> > gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
> > gpilotd-Message: Watching Cradle (/dev/ttyUSB0)

	First, check that you don't have these packages in /usr and
/usr/local (assuming you touched source versions of them, and didn't specify
a --prefix when building them). Many people make this mistake, and compile
these packages from source, and install them (which defaults to /usr/local)
and then try running them as normal users (which defaults to /usr).

	Then, make sure you didn't use --force or --nodeps to force an
install of these packages (pilot-link, libpisock, gnome-pilot). Using
- --force or --nodeps is bad, and completely screws your package management
system.

	Next, remove everything related to these packages. You can probably
do this by removing whatever pilot-link and libpisock rpms you have. When it
says it has to remove a bunch of other packages, remove them too. Make sure
you write down which packages it removes as well. Kill off any instances of
gnome-pilot (or KPilot?) running in memory, and make sure they're dead ('ps
afux | grep pilot')

	Make sure there are _NO_ other components lying around on your
system for these packages. You can check that with 'ldconfig -v | grep
pisock'. If this returns ANYTHING, start back at the first step above and
try again. Make sure you remove all of the libraries, headers, and userspace
binaries for these packages from your system.

	Then install the _right version_ of pilot-link for your
distribution, and do NOT use --force or --nodeps when installing it. You
should never ever ever have to use those two commands when installing
software. If you have to, then something else on your system is wrong, fix
that first.

	Test that the new pilot-link works with your Palm device. Make sure
the version matches what you just installed ('pilot-xfer --version'). If it
works, move onto the next step.

	Once pilot-link is installed, install the gnome-pilot rpm that is
mated to that pilot-link rpm you installed. Bouncing from the Ximian
packages to the Red Hat packages is going to cause you problems. I don't run
_any_ Ximian packages on my systems, and my GNOME/Evo/Palm setup works
flawlessly.

	Once you get that far, install the rest of the bits you need
(gnome-pilot-conduits, Evolution, etc.).

	If you run into trouble using this route, you can always do the
whole thing via source also. I wrote a HOWTO[1] on this, if you want to use
that instead.

	Good luck.

[1] Syncronizing your PalmOS(r) Handheld with Ximian Evolution(TM)
    http://howto.pilot-link.org/evosync/

d.