Re: PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 23:35, Ralph Alvy wrote:
> Ralph Alvy wrote:
> > How do I set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable? I'm not sure
> > where it's found (I'm obviously a Linux newbie). Running compile on
> > gnome-pilot-conduits-2.0.10 is stopping out, suggesting I set the
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable so that it can find
> > gnome-pilot-2.0.10.
>
> Correction: I was getting that error while running config.

Stick into /etc/profile and/or ~/.bashrc:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH={PKG_CONFIG_PATH:+:}/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^
Replace the carated part with the prefix you used when you installed
gnome-pilot.  (If this is /usr, then you likely need to install it again
because it didn't install properly).

Oh, and the funny looking bit inside the curly braces is just so you
don't wind up with ":/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig" if PKG_CONFIG_PATH was
unset previously.  (I'm picky about stuff like that)

(Final digression... It's appropriate to put it in _both_ /etc/profile
and ~/.bashrc because if things are working properly, only one of the
two will be invoked.  /etc/profile is not typically invoked when you're
using KDM/GDM/XDM because then your _window manager_ is your login
shell, not bash)