m500 and serial hotsync cable?

Hi,

I have got a Palm m500 and would like to sync it with Evolution (esp.
the Calendar)

I know the functionality for this is in the CVS versions of p-l and g-p,
but I'd rather use debian packages to keep my system clean. Now I saw
some retailers selling cheap serial hotsync cables for m50x palms and
wondered whether those would work with the currently stable versions of
g-p and p-l? Anybody knows?

Do those cables have a hotsync button? If not (the photo I saw was
small, but i did not see one) how do i initiate a hotsync then?

tia,
Andreas