unable to bind to pilot?

Hi all -

trying to transition from my museum-of-computing-ready
PalmPro (c.1997) which spent it's life talking to
Outlook, to the New World of a Handspring Visor
talking to evolution.

I got the old data.  The old Palm spoke happily to
gpilotd through ttyS0 and conduited prettily into evo.
 So far, so good, it can go to a long rest in the
cupboard (before I throw it out after its batteries
corrode).

The visor didn't fare as well.  Running from the cmd
line, we see the following (I try to hotsync at the
end there):

[pball localhost pball]$ gpilotd &
[1] 19747
[pball localhost pball]$ gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot
0.1.64 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.9.5
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [GOAD] [USB]
[IrDA] [Network]
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: Watching Cradle (/dev/pilot)
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600

gpilotd-WARNING **: Unable to bind to pilot

FWIW, /dev/pilot looks like this:

[root localhost dev]# ls -la pilot
lrwxrwxrwx    1 pball    pball           7 Jan 24
19:33 pilot -> ttyUSB1

So gpilotd can see the attempt to sync, but fails to
bind. A review of dmesg's tail shows the following

<snip>

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned
device number 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x82d/0x100) is not
claimed by any active driver.
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.3
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for
Handspring Visor
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter detected
visor.c: Handspring Visor: Number of ports: 2
visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 1, is for Generic use
and is bound to ttyUSB0
visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 2, is for HotSync use
and is bound to ttyUSB1
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached
to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached
to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Palm
M500
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Palm
M505
visor.c: v1.2:USB HandSpring Visor driver

<snip, after many attempts>

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned
device number 12
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter detected
visor.c: Handspring Visor: Number of ports: 2
visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 1, is for Generic use
and is bound to ttyUSB0
visor.c: Handspring Visor: port 2, is for HotSync use
and is bound to ttyUSB1
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached
to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now attached
to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 12
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now
disconnected from ttyUSB0
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor converter now
disconnected from ttyUSB1

so I get the idea that some sort of conversation is
going on here ... but not quite successfully.

What do people recommend?  I've googled on "unable to
bind to pilot" and not much turns up.  TIA - PB.