Re: USB Visor and one-click syncing

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 11:25, David Saff wrote:
> All,
>
> I have successfully set up hotsyncing between my visor deluxe and Redhat
> 7.2 / Ximian Gnome system using the standard Visor USB cradle.
> pilot-xfer works correctly, and pilot-link, gnome-pilot, and Evolution
> are almost right.  Currently, however, it isn't quite a one-touch
> operation: I push the hotsync button on my cradle, and it indicates that
> it is "Connecting to Desktop..."  I then have to pull up System Settings
> / Pilot Link / Devices.  I have only one device configured, described
> below.  I select the device and choose Edit.  I then hit OK on the edit
> screen, and OK on the Pilot Link control applet.  Immediately, my pilot
> indicates that it is Identifying User, and syncing begins.
>
> This is acceptable, but I'd really like it if I could get it to
> automatically sync when I hit the hotsync button.  The device
> configuration that works for me is:
>
> Name: Cradle
> Port: /dev/ttyUSB1
> Speed: 115200
> Timeout: 2
> Type: Serial
>
> I developed my current theory about what's going on by looking at the
> /var/log/messages file for two runs of the hotsync:

<snip kernel messages>

> Specifically, I noticed that the cradle is assigned a new device number
> every time it connects.  (Above, first 41, then 42).  My theory is that
> the daemon continues to monitor device 41, and only when I do my
> control-panel mumbo-jumbo above does it readjust itself to look for
> device 42.
>
> I'd appreciate any thoughts you have about 1) Whether you've had a
> similar problem, 2) Whether the above analysis looks correct, 3) Where
> to start looking for a fix.

That's what I would think too. I have a similar problem from time to
time, and posted my solution on pilot-unix-ng under the thread "USB sync
stops working, kernel error=-110". In my case the usb modules need to be
unloaded and reloaded in a certain order. You're using usb-uhci instead
of uhci, which might account for the difference (I actually get an error
from visor.o after uhci assigns a new port number).