Weird gpilotd behavior

Hi, everyone --

So, after much pain (much of it possibly caused by trying to do this at 2AM), I was finally (sort of) able to (kind of) sync. my Handspring to Evolution.

When I first installed the latest beta of Evolution, the Pilot config. druid ran fine and was able to tickle my PDA for its name and make it beep delightedly -- but then none of the conduits were showing up, and the "Pilot Conduits" and "Pilot Link" control panels were not appearing in the right place (as mentioned in other recent messages on this list). All this got fixed when I installed gnome-pilot 0.1.62 (although I had to recompile 0.1.62 to be compatible with pilot-link 0.9.5, 'cuz the RPM is compiled with 0.9.6-cvs, which I couldn't install because I don't have an bleeding-edge enough libstdc++).

The one remaining problem: when started via the PilotSync applet in my Gnome desktop, gpilotd doesn't seem to like talk to my PDA when I push the hotsync button on the cradle. Fine, I say, so I kill the daemon, and start it in the console so that it can show me what it's complaining about. About 30% of the time, nothing happens (the PDA side just times out) and the following is output:

   gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: Connection timed out
   gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: timeout was 2 secs
   gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600

about 65% of the time a connection gets established (the PDA beeps and displays "Identifying users"), then things hang and the PDA eventually times out, and the following gets output:

   gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=57600
   Weird packet
   gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: Input/output error
   gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: timeout was 2 secs

I've managed to sync. once in about 30 tries under Gnome, and a couple more times while running under the console (it seems to be somewhat more reliable when running without options under the console -- but I haven't verified that exhaustively).

BTW, can anyone tell me where the output of gpilotd is logged when it's running under a Gnome applet? I guess knowing that would've helped me with debug ...

Any other help would be appreciated as well ...

Thanks.

-Phil