Re: gnome pilot under redhat 7.2

These are the errors I get when I attempt to install the various rpm's

rpm -Uvh  pilot-link-0.9.6-cvs.i386.rpm

error: failed dependencies:
    libstdc++.so.2.10   is needed by pilot-link-0.9.6-cvs
    pilot-link = 0.9.5 is needed by pilot-link-devel-0.9.5-8
    libpisock.so.3   is needed by jpilot-0.99-7
    libpisock.so.3   is needed by kdepim-pilot-2.2-1

First off, don't install pilot-link-0.9.6-cvs.  I'd install
pilot-link-0.9.5.rpm.  I've heard about and had problems with
that version and evolution.

Judging by your messages you need to uninstall some packages.
Do this unless you use jpilot and kdepim-pilot:

rpm -e jpilot
rpm -e kdepim-pilot
rpm -e pilot-link-devel

If you see any more packages that are errors either delete them
(using rpm -e), or use --nodeps:

rpm -e jpilot --nodeps
rpm -e kdepim-pilot --nodeps
rpm -e pilot-link-devel --nodeps

rpm -Uvh gnome-pim-1.4.3-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
    gnome-pim = 1.2.0 is needed by gnome-pim-devel-1.2.0-13

Once again, get rid of gnome-pim-devel:

	rpm -e gnome-pim-devel
        rpm -Uvh gnome-pim

rpm -Uvh gnome-pilot-0.1.63-1.i386.rpm

error: failed dependencies:
    libpisock.so.4   is needed by gnome-pilot-0.1.63-1

This will be fixed when you get pilot-link installed, I believe.

As you can tell, I am very new to linux, so any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Actually, the fact you're posting here for help means you're
getting along pretty well.

Hope I helped a little bit.  The RPM dependency problems can
be pretty tricky.  The best thing to do when you deleting packages
is to kind of "drill down" as you delete.

For example:

rpm -Uvh package-a-1.0
error: failed dependencies:
     package-a depends on package-b
     package-c depends on package-a-0.95

Well, we can see that we will need package-b FIRST before we
install package-a.  So the next step would be to get that
package and install it.

Also, package-c is telling me that I can't delete the old version
of package-a because it depends on it.  This is where the moment
of truth comes in.

We can either:
     1) delete package-c. . . but it may have other packages that
        depend on it as well, and packages that depend on *those*
        packages.  So then you get into a delete-fest.  Plus, you
        most likely want some of the packages that you'll delete.
        Delete a package:   rpm -e package-c  or force it with
        --nodeps if it keeps protesting about other packages.

     2) Force an upgrade (what I usually do).  The package that
        is protesting might actually be fine with the new version.
        Force the upgrade like this:  rpm -Uvh package-a --nodeps

     3) Drop the RPM system altogether and learn how to compile
        tarballs (.tar.gz, or .tgz) files.  That's a little
        trickier, but I would recommend learning how to do this
        sometime.

HTH,

Paul Oliver
In the year 2000 . . .
Sick and tired of being told what they can watch, babies will
start their own television network. It will feature such popular
shows as "Faucet Leaking on to Old Blue Sponge," "I Make Poo Poo
Like Doggie," and "Suddenly Susan."
		-- Conan O'Brien