pilot-link works great with my new Visor, but gnome-pilot doesn't?

I've successfully gotten pilot-link to work with my Visor via
USB using /dev/ttyUSB1.

For some reason, however, I can't get gpilotd to sync. I have
created the cradle in the capplet (values: "Visor Cradle",
"/dev/ttyUSB1", "115200", "Handspring USB") and the handheld,
but when I attempt to do the first sync (sequence: press HotSync
button on the visor first, and only press "send to pilot" after
the device files have been bound to the USB serial devices) both
the computer and the Visor keep waiting for each other, and
eventually give up.

Am I doing anything extremely stupid?

TIA,

	Federico Heinz