Re: gnome-pilot-list digest, Vol 1 #125 - 1 msg

> Yes, I think this was confirmed by the author of coldsync.  On my
> computer, there are enough checksum errors to make pilot-link
> unusable; coldsync handles them and therefore synchs reliably.  It
> would be great if the gnome tools could be configured to allow using
> coldsynch instead of pilot-link.

	Then you must be using an ancient version of pilot-link or gpilotd
if you're still getting checksum errors.

	I sync my various Palms every day with pilot-link over IR, USB,
USB->Serial adapters, Serial without a single incident. I will get some
'weird packet' errors when I know the speed is cranked wrong (like
cranking it over 9600 with the older Keyspan drivers, for example).

	Perhaps you should post a bug report, so I can diagnose the
problem, if indeed it is a problem with pilot-link. The bug report should
consist of the following information:

	1. version of the tool you are using (*NOT* the package
           version, but the version the tool itself reports, i.e.
           'pilot-xfer --version', not 'rpm -qa | grep pilot-link' or
           'dpkg -l | grep pilot-link'.

	2. I will need to know your command arguments ('pilot-xfer -p
           /dev/usb/bus/0 -b .' for example)

	3. Your port settings (setserial -a will tell you that)

	4. Your Palm unit (Visor? Clie? Palm? TRG?)

	5. PalmOS version on that unit

	6. A list of any hacks you are running at sync time (such as
           AfterBurner)

	7. The exact error you get (an accompanying backtrace makes it
           much easier to figure out).

	8. Your platform (Intel? PPC?) and chipset (PII? P4? M68k?)

	9. What version of the OS you are running (BSD? Linux?), which
           should include the kernel you are running on the box (2.2?
           2.4?).

	With this information in hand, I can diagnose and probably fix
your problem, whether it exists within pilot-link, or within the
configuration of your machine (hardware or software).

	You should also check your hardware to make sure that it isn't
flaking out on you.

/d