Sync through serial cable?

I'm using the following packages on RH6.1/October GNOME:

At home this setup works fine with my PalmIII and the cradle.
At work, I have a serial cable but no cradle.  When I'm in
GNOME's control center trying to setup Pilot Link, I click on
the 'get from pilot' button.  A window pops up asking me to
press the button on the cradle.

Since I don't have one, this is rather difficult.  I thought
it was possible to start the HotSync program on the PalmIII
and have everything work the same way.  Am I wrong in this
assumption?  Does anyone know what I need to do?

Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.
		-- Anonymous