Problems with conduits

Every time I try to configure the conduits to sync I get a system crash,
"Unable to start object, maybe conduit not installed properly"

Here is what I have installed that I think relates to this, all compiled by
me from mandrake source:
gnome-pilot-0.1.55-0.1.1mdk.i686.rpm
gnome-pilot-conduits-0.4-7mdk.i686.rpm
gnome-pilot-devel-0.1.55-0.1.1mdk.i686.rpm
libpilot-link3-0.9.5-0.3.2mdk.i686.rpm
perl-PDA-Pilot-0.9.5-0.3.1mdk.i686.rpm
pilot-link-0.9.5-0.3.2mdk.i686.rpm
pilot-link-devel-0.9.5-0.3.2mdk.i686.rpm

Since I have a visor and the Mandrake precompiled rpms don't have
--enable-usb-visor, I felt I had to take this step.

The usb and visor work with no problems, I can use jpilot and all the
pilot-link functions from the command line.  During the setup, it gnome-pilot
connects to the visor and retrieves, user and userid.  In Mandrake it looks
as if everything is off the /usr tree. In /usr/share/gnome-pilot/conduits I
have backup.conduits, file.conduits, memofile.conduits, expense .conduits,
mal.conduits and sendmail.conduits.  In /usr/lib/gnome-pilot/conduits I have:
libbackup_conduit.a
libbackup_conduit.la*
libbackup_conduit.so@
libbackup_conduit.so.0@
libbackup_conduit.so.0.0.0*
libemail_conduit.a
libemail_conduit.la*
libemail_conduit.so@
libemail_conduit.so.0@
libemail_conduit.so.0.0.0*
libexpense_conduit.a
libexpense_conduit.la*
libexpense_conduit.so@
libexpense_conduit.so.0@
libexpense_conduit.so.0.0.0*
libfile_conduit.a
libfile_conduit.la*
libfile_conduit.so@
libfile_conduit.so.0@
libfile_conduit.so.0.0.0*
libmal_conduit.a
libmal_conduit.la*
libmal_conduit.so@
libmal_conduit.so.0@
libmal_conduit.so.0.0.0*
libmemo_file_conduit.a
libmemo_file_conduit.la*
libmemo_file_conduit.so@
libmemo_file_conduit.so.0@
libmemo_file_conduit.so.0.0.0*

Best I can tell I have everything I need installed.  I have read through the
archives and there have been some discussions regarding syncid affecting
this, but honestly I have not very familar with gnome and haven't been able
to gleam anything helpul out of them.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry S.