Re: Thoughts about short-term work

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 jrb@redhat.com wrote:

> pilot-link?  I think I can find it through some effort, but any guidance
> would be welcome.  I'd like to spend some time this week weaning gpilotd
> onto the "standard" pilot-link. (-:

Yes. All code from libsock/sync.c is additions and include/pi-sync.h is
the header file for this.

I was planning use the same widget structure as used elsewhere in
gnome/gtk, to make a GnomePilotConduit widget which people can then extend
by "inheriting" into eg. GnomePilotCalendarWidget, binding the methods
from the sync abs structure and adding whatever they need.

I'd like to follow it closely, but you're welcome to begin the project, I
also suspect you have more experience with gnome widgets. Just don't dump
one huge commit into the CVS. :-)

For guidance into the intricacies of syncabs, theres a partially completed
api ref in gnome-pilot/Documentation, plus the memo-conduit which works
60% of the time uses the syncabs structure. The backup conduit and the
file conduit do not use the structure, they are speciel conduits.

> > I've never tried the conduit ORB stuff, but the forked gpilotd can still
> It may be a bit more complex then that (so claims Elliot.)  However

I could imaging that something could end up in the wrong process.

> I think he wanted to clean up the Macros a bit, as he didn't like the
> way they were used, but I suppose he'll let you know when he returns

Is that the stuff from pi-sync.h ? Thats only there to keep it easier to
sync pilot-link. I agree on the horror and hideousness of them.

> > Will you be using Think for TodoDB ? What about the todo list in gnomecal
> Both can sync against the TodoDB.  However, I think Think is (maybe) a
> bit better suited to the Todo app.

Uhm, is there a newer think out then the one I've seen ?

> > >  - Write calender and todo conduits.
> > And a GABY conduit for the AddressDB, and an email conduit...
> yup.  But first things first.

I'll call you Mr. Conservative, always deploying FIFO queueing
principles...:)

/dev/eskil