Re: pilot-link-version

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Manish Vachharajani wrote:

> > Does it have to be written in c?
> Sort of.  Last I checked, which was some time ago, so perhaps Eskil can correct
> me if I am wrong, gpilod uses gmodule to load .so files as conduits.  Now, this

Yes, that is the current state. So basically, you need a .so file that can
be dl'opened by gmodule, and in which there are two functions available,
one that returns a structure containing four other methods, one of which
must be a sync method.

> API.  Perhaps, gpilotd should use CORBA to communicate with its
> conduits in the future.  This would easily allow conduits in any

This could be possible, if conduits adhere to the SyncAbs API (the one
abandoned by pilot-link). For conduits not using this (or another api),
they'll probably want to access the pilot device directly, eg. using the
dlp_* calls as in pilot-link, which will require access to the file
descriptor, which cannot be passed through corba.

But then again, you could provide a corba version of the dlp_* library...
anyone got time for that ? :)

> If you are willing to write the small, I hope :), C wrapper I don't see why we
> shouldn't have it for now.

Good enough for me, its either that, or begin hacking in gnomecal.

> getting better now that I have taken my generals so I hope to hack more code
> this summer.

Aye, last exams 8th June, then except a rock festival and some hiking in
scotland it will be CodingTime.

/dev/eskil