Re: Cross Distro .specs

Hi *,

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 08:57:18AM +0100, James Ogley wrote:
> A while ago (oooh, almost a year now I think) there was some discussion
> about how to go about producing .spec files that would work without
> modification across different RPM based Linux distros.

My pov regarding spec files that include multiple ifdefs to adapt to a
certain distro did not change at all.

I still think that this is the wrong way to go since it cause a lot of
work to maintain and thus will break soon.

> [...]
> I wondered whether doing something like this across the platform/desktop
> might be able to form part of Elijah's "Revive the GPP" idea for the
> Summer of Code[2]?

Well - nobody joined the effort I started to get the prerequisites done,
so I doubt going the "master way" is possible at all. That would work if
you had maintainers for the distros, but not if you're struggling with
getting it going at first.

ciao
Christian
--