Re: Introducing myself, Who needs help?

Hi Michael, *,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 01:49:56PM -0400, Michael Steinfeld wrote:
> Hi, I just subscribed because I want to offer my services. I am much
> better at following suit than leading the pack. You can review my
> resume at
> http://www.poordog.net/resume.php
>
> I would prefer to contribute OS X related packages.. however tell me
> what needs to be done and I'm on my way regardless of OS.

Unfortunately, people have different visions on how the packaging should
work - so far there has not been any agreement on guidelines, on
prerequisites.

Just have a look at
http://live.gnome.org/PackagingProject_2fPackageNames

Nobody but me has interest in clearing this out..

But I guess it would be easiest if you'd create some sort of scripting
to convert rpms to OSX-packages. (Since I guess adding "native" support
for OSX-Packages would mean lot of work (and maintainence!) for every
single package).

Having some tooling that accepts rpms or uses rpm (or only the
spec-files) to create OS-X packages would be more flexible and less
work.

> I have a lot of time on my hands right now being that I wont be
> working for a few months. I want to take this opportunity to give back
> as well as embrace my passions of Gnome.

Well - feel free to take your position:

Basically there are three concepts:

* create spec-files that use a whole lot of "ifdefs" to adapt to every
  single distro (including different package names for one single
  package, depending on distro)

* create spec-files that do not contain any specific adaptions for
  specific distros (adaption is done during building, by
  rpm-configuration)
  -> packages are meant to be build on the user's machine or generated
  by a "distro"-builder. One spec-file can result in distro-specific
  packages

* create a repository of distribution-specific spec-files (e.g. one
  package has multiple spec-files)

I'm in favor of the second one - but it seems I'm alone with my opinion.

ciao
Christian
--
NP: Exquisite Corpse - And I Die Soon