Re: [gnome-love] request for spec files

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 07:30:35AM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 04:59:14 -0500, Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:08:33PM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> [..]
> >   Problem is to have portable spec files, all major RPM distro seems
> > to have their prefered guidelines and tricks,
>
> Ah, yeah, I forgot to mention that. Certainly our experience at Ximian
> was that you needed separate spec files per distro; I'm not sure the
> best way to maintain that in CVS, but it is something I had hoped you
> guys had considered.

IMHO you don't need seperate specs, but a different set of rpmmacros.

The only thing that may cause problems are the naming-schemes used (esp.
Mandrake is weired in this regard).

But this should not be a problem for something like jhbuild that is
meant for building the whole thing.

This mainly is a problem if you try to distribute the binary packages.

I don't think is is necessary or even desireable to create
distro-specific spec.

The specs should be created in a way that the result can easily be
adjusted though.

ciao
Christian