Re: FAO: Gnome Packaging Project

Hi *,

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:20:03PM +0100, Paul Trippett wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 12:43, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> [...]
>
> The first things that come to mind are: -
>
> 1. How many people are here that are willing to help?

Enough. You don't need many.

> 2. In my mind, We will need to work closely with the gnome package
> developers

+1

> and various linux distribution maintainers

difficult. I don't think there will be complete unity ever.
Don't stick with distributors, but with standards.
Create the specs/whatever so that everybody can easily adapt them to
special needs.
(-> use %macros instead of explicit commands and the like)

> and develop some
> standards for the spec files (standards documented and posted on a
> gnome-packaging webpage?). Ensuring that these standards comply with
> their own.

This is a very important point. Let's start with the naming of the
packages.
Should it be gtk+, gtk2, gtk2+, gtk+2? Same for glib, gnome-vfs, ORBit,
etc.

> 3. Figure out the easiest and most efficient way of dealing with #2

Trial and error would be easiest (no coordination necessary) ;->

> 4. Sub groups of gnome-packaging for spec builders, testers, project
> liasions, distribution liasons etc?

Future things. Let's focus on creating initial specs and get them into
the packages first.

I don't think you will need a dedicated testers group. (everybody who
uses the package will be a "tester")

ciao
Christian
--