Re: Moving to a more distro/host agnostic setup for the canonical spec files.

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 01:15, Yanko Kaneti wrote:
> Hi
>
> Here is a packaging/spec idea I'll throw at the wind to seek some
> general reaction and possibly action.
>
> Lets remove all the host/distro specifics that can found currently in
> the spec.in files and move to using strictly defined subset of rpm
> macros and techniques. Whenever the available rpm functionality lacks or
> some extension is needed write new macros and include them in the
> allowed subset. Maintain these extensions per platform. Distribute them
> in the form of a package , say grpmbuild (or somesuch)

Hmm, I like some of this idea.  It certainly makes sense to create some
macros for doing common parts of the GNOME spec files.

> Along the way:
>  - remove the requires and deps and rely on the hosts autodep, the
> configure and pkg-config checks.

Hmm, I just realized at least one more reason that this is a "Bad
Thing".  If we do things this way, our packages can't be used with
apt-rpm.  It requires named dependencies, I think because dpkg only
handles named dependencies, or something like that.  Thoughts?
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc linuxweasel com>