Re: Ideas for packaging

On fr , 2002-01-18 at 20:18, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 11:12, Roy-Magne Mo wrote:

> > One of the biggest problem with keeping gnome updated is all the
> > dependencies, reminding people of windows. Using apt, we solve this
> > problem the easy way.
> >
> > I'm would gladly help out such an effort.
>
> Cool!  From what I understand, all that's required to make a regular ftp
> site into an Ultra-Cool apt site is adding a couple of files.  I'll be
> putting the RPMs online in a few hours, unless I have many more compile
> problems.  Do you know how to create the files needed to make it into an
> apt repository?  Let me know what information is needed in order to do
> that, and I'll try to provide it.

Basically, you need files decribing the packages and the dependencies.
These are created with the utilities from apt-rpm. At the moment there
isn't support for redhat 7.0, as it seems like people deciding to be
conservative stays at 6.2 and people wanting to upgrade moves to 7.2.

The url for apt-rpm is:
http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

The most important thing with packages and apt, is the dependencies - as
this is supposed to go automatically.

I can create the files, or create scripts to run for you if you want.
You'll find me at #gnome as gaupe.

--
Roy