Re: gnome-1.4.1 beta1

Laca,

>So is there a reason why maintainers can't do The Right Thing when releasing
>a tarball?

Warning: "obvious" statement follows...

It might be easier if tarballs were created directly from CVS as
the CVS tree (mostly) does not contain generated files. People
have to "do the right thing" to put their files in CVS, why
not use it?

Maybe if we had a script that automated tarball creation
using CVS, people would be more inclined to do it this way.

Something like:

usage: cvsball <module> <cvs-tag>
creates a gzipped tar archive (aka tarball) of a CVS module using
the cvs-tag to identify file versions.

notes:
* uses $TMPDIR as working disk space while getting the files from CVS
* standard CVS environment variables apply

Of course if 'make clean' worked, commits to CVS would be easier
(and people with CVS-aversion could still make portable tarballs).

Colm.

>From: Laszlo PETER <Laszlo Peter ireland sun com>
>To: Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com>
>Cc: Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas online no>, GNOME Hackers
<gnome-hackers gnome org>, gnome-packaging-list gnome org