Re: Base distro + Requirements definition

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Stuff like alien should be highly discouraged at all both from an
> integration point of view and a common sense pov.  Alien is for lazy gits
> ;)

I very much agree. If we didn't package and test it, we're not
interested in getting bug reports for it, either.

We are, however, more than willing to start packaging stuff that end-users
request.

Given our target audience, that should be perfectly acceptable. The
obiquitous "open-endedness" of all current linux distros, where "we don't
dicate policy" by allowing anything, always results in a maintenance
nightmare.

If people want that freedom, they should use another OS.

Trying to be everything (or even "most") to everybody is not going to get
us anywhare. Let's start small, and be confident that what we package and
put together is as slick as possible.

At least that's my opinion on the matter.

Karl T