Re: getting the ball rolling

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 18:48, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Karl Trygve Kalleberg">
>
> > Going down _one_ of the routes will prove more than enough work for a
> > small and focused team. Going down all the routes, during a reasonable
> > timeframe (12 months?) is hardly feasible, as I see it.
>
> I agree, and I think the ideal of "develop for release" is something we
> should stick to. In fact, it's a usability goal - we want people using this.

Design principles suggest that there will not be a perfect design that
fits all these cases, even if we were given years to work on this ;-)

I'm not sure university/corporate market is even focused enough. I would
say we should pick one of the two (I would vote for university since so
many companies are already gunning for corporate, and partly because I
understand it better), and even with University I'd want to pick a
particular sort of department to design for (Math / CS / History /
General Purpose Cluster Machines).

-Seth