MS Access-like component

Hi, new to this so please bear with me - this has probably been hashed
over 100s of times before. I am a fairly new developer wishing to get
into some new project. I've tried (or been forced to try) MS Access
and OOo Base. In my experience, it has actually been easier to use
Mysql with something like phpMyAdmin. I realise that the two fill
different roles, with Access and Base being desktop database systems,
but the actual end-product produced in both cases is, in my
experience, disappointing. There should be a way to easily go from
conseptual design to database to (fairly) automatic front-end
generation.

As I understand it, the current gnome data access centers around
libgnomedb which can work with multiple back-ends. You set up your
database and then use this library to integrate it into your gtk
front-end which is designed and implemented separately. What I and
many other used to Access would like, I think, is for all development
to happend in one place - like in Access and Base. But for the
front-end to be as polished as is possible with developing your own.
Access generates hideous front-ends and Base has such limited
functionality and isn't integrated with anything else.

If this is a stupid idea, please tell me (and tell me why :-) or if
something similar already exists..
.
Thanks!