Re: Gnome-Office as part of GNOME?

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 22:42 +1100, msevior physics unimelb edu au wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>          I've been corresponding with Jeff Waugh, (GNOME release-poobar),
> regarding including new modules into gnome. My original
> motivation was to get Divifund into gnome.
>
> Jeff reseponded by asking why not have a gnome-office release timed to
> coincide with the regular 6-month GNOME release?
>
> I talked about the need to have more than 3 months development time
> between releases.
>
> Here is his response below. So as far as I can see, all we have to do is
> provide pointers to our latest "stable" tarballs every time Jeff asks for
> new tarballs.
>
> I personally think this is a great idea. It has hardly any impact on our
> development schedule and provides a set of reference snapshots for distros
> to include in their releases.

it is indeed a great idea

> It also gives aspiring gnome-office applications like criawps, present,
> planner, mergeant, conglomerate and Divifund a reference and a level of
> completeness to aspire to.
>
> I'm perfectly happy to volenteer AbiWord stable tarballs (starting with
> AbiWord-2.2.0) as a gnome-office component of the GNOME desktop and
> development platform.
>
> Are there any objections?
>
> What do gnumeric hackers think?
>
> Can we also do this for libgoffice?
>
> How about gnome-DB?

we were planning to follow GNOME releases, and was indeed the plan for
1.2, but since we didn't have a strong commitment on the dates, we
postponed 1.2 a few weeks.

But I'd be happy to commit on following the GNOME release schedules from
now on, so count on my vote.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>