Re: [gnome-db] GRAND MASTER PLAN

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 02:33, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> Silvana Di Martino wrote:
> >Rekall, a clone of MS Access (runs on Qt):
> >www.totalrekall.co.uk
> >www.rekallrevealed.org
> >www.thekompany.com
> >
> >GNUccess, another clone of MS Access (alpha):
> >gnuccess.sourceforge.net
> >
> >GNU Enterprise:
> >www.gnuenterprise.org
> >
> >Mozilla SQL native interface:
> >www.mozilla.org
> >
> >XULMaker, a Visual GUI builder for Mozilla/XUL:
> >www.mozdev.org
> >
> >They can be a source of inspiration and, maybe, the people working on these
> >project could be willing to cooperate with you.
>
> These I have not examined, but it is unlikely (from my point of view)
> that the "big people" in Gnome Office would want *more* dependencies
> (Mozilla, QT, which is actually a big part of KDE, a somewhat-competitor
> with GNOME Desktop...)

The only consideration would be gnucess, but that's dead; last activity
was March 2003 and it's still in alpha.

> >Glade is fantastic. I vote for it.
> >
> >As an alternative, have a look at Mozilla, XUL e XULMaker. The way they create
> >and manage the program GUI could bring to a "GUI Building/Management
> >Standard" in the future. It could be nice to be there at that moment.
>
> Again, with the reducing dependencies.  It may not be a bad idea to make
> it *possible*, but I'd say making Mozilla required would be a definite
> turn off.  The developers are working hard to reduce dependencies to the
> minimum, and to an easily-ported minimum, with the hope that the suite
> can be cross platform.

Well... Mozilla is cross platform. ;)  Just joking.

Glade creates Gtk interfaces, and is already well-used.  Mozilla-XUL is
not something used nor something that could be used.

> >I vote for not wasting time in creating a specific Report Designer and Report
> >Engine. Just make your data available to OpenOffice, AbiWord and KOffice and
> >let them do the job. Wordprocessors and Spreadsheets are well-known by
> >end-users and can make a great job on reporting.
>
> AbiWord would really probably be the choice here (though maybe
> Conglomerate, I'm not very familiar with it...).  OpenOffice and KOffice
> are not only more dependencies, but entirely separate office suites from
> GNOME Office.

The OP has an unintentional point on collaboration with other suites.

That is something, though, to be mindful of for the future and not
something to worry about now.
--
- Charlie

Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>