Re: [Inkscape-devel] Joining GNOME Office

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:17:58AM +0000, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> A bulleted list of the overall goals is what I'm asking for.  Something
> simple but something solid and easy to understand.
>
> Eg: (and this is my hypothetical example, nothing official)
>
> Gnumeric:
> - fully foster plugin framework to libgoffice
> - separate out and charting engine into library

At present I suspect everyone is blocking on this mythical library
to split out.  It needs

- The plugin system from gnumeric pulled down and cleaned up
  This includes the basic framework and a management dialog.
  It is necessary for the plotting engines which are plugins.
  eg bar/col is a plugin

- The value format engine (and probably the parser too).  There is a
  simple interface to this in libgoffice already to hide the
  gnumeric code.  The formater will be rewritten eventually to add
  more features (eg ###-#### formats) but that is not immediate nor
  will it effect anyone other than gnumeric.

- Pull down a few more convenience routines and widgets
     : the charset selector
     : file selector wrappers to go with the basic import/export
       framework

- write some portability wrappers for things like
    : open url
    : send email
    : display help
  So that gnome-office apps can behave consistently across
  platforms.