Re: [Inkscape-devel] Joining GNOME Office

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 14:47, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> There are no relevant freedesktop initiatives directly relating to
> office applications as far as I know.

Dom will not be happy that you forgot that Enchant has become a fd.o
standard. ;)  In fact, I'll quote him again:

"I have at least 2 pertinent FD.O projects at the moment:

1) Use of Enchant (or some library that wraps Enchant, such as
GnomeSpell or GtkSpell) for any application that does spell-checking
2) Use of mime-type based atoms on the clipboard. For example,
"image/svg+xml" and "image/png" might make sense for Inkscape.
"text/html" makes sense for Abi, Evo, Gnumeric, ..."

> Eventually there may be.  At the inception our goals are focused on
> creation, than long term visions.  For now it is sufficient to be
> a well maintained application that uses glib, and would like to be
> part of the gnome-office project.  We need to work on integration at
> many levels.  Let's pick the easy bits, such as cut-n-paste, first.

+1 to step by step, but at the same time we shouldn't just put
everything off until later.  Perhaps we should also step by step be
setting out the roadmap and standards for GO and it's applications.
--
- Charlie

The future of the net - www.xwt.org

Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>