Re: header attempts

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 21:40, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> I attempted some headers:
> http://www.charlietech.com/goffice/beta/headers.html
>
> I'm aiming for the slightly conservative / corporate feel.  They'd look
> (slightly) better properly integrated into the top of a populated page
> since they're supposed to be part of a background structure.

Not a bad start.  Certainly better than anything I could do (but I am
about the least talented artist around).  But here are a few semi-random
thoughts:

The second two I'm not keen on as I don't think the feet work as either
'G' or 'O'.  Not sure about the coloured toes either.

On a more general note, I'm not a fan of banner type logos.  They mean
that you have to give the page a fixed width, which means you're losing
stuff off the side if the user has a narrow window, and not making full
use of the space if they've got a wide one.  An alternative would be to
produce a transparent image with just a logo and/or text, put that in
the top left corner and give the whole of the page header a background
using CSS.

Having said that, I do like the blue background effect you've got; maybe
this in a vertical stripe could be used as a sidebar background (though
you then get problems with differing font sizes, but I'm trying not to
get carried away like that - I've a tendency to end up with graphic-free
web pages if I'm not careful).

The biggest problem is the image size.  The existing logo on the website
is 59kB and you've only shave a couple of K off of that.  Your target
should be 5-6kB - reckon you can manage to do something that size?

Cheers,

- olly