Re: Plugin System

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 22:10 -0700, Bob Smith wrote:
> Rodrigo mentioned scripting plugins. Having embeded a lot of languages
> into my apps over time, I tend to agree with Jody. The scripting engine
> is an insignificant part of code.

well, that's what I mean, to just share the scripting service types, and
the implementations based on a given language. If you look at the code
in gnome-office, I was trying to keep the scripting service as generic
as possible, with just a few methods to execute code.

That's what we can share, since I can't find a reason for having the
embedded interpreter for, say, Mono, Perl, Python, etc re-implemented in
each app. Providing the basics of the scripting engine in a common place
gives scripting support to all apps.

>  Unless I can see good evidence that
> you can do most of the stuff you want from the accessibility api, this
> is not enough to make me believe that the plugin library should be
> oriented around a global plugin dir.

why not have a common place for looking for plugins, but give users the
choice to disable looking in that dir?

cheers